Learning at home ideas
Practise x3, x4, x8 times tables. Make up your own song to help you remember.
Research a natural disaster that interests you. Make a fact file with the information.
Write your own warning story, make sure you use paragraphs and inverted commas when someone is speaking.
Watch news round, write a newspaper article about a piece of news.
Practise finding double and half of numbers, perhaps make your own game!
Create your own dictionary; add new words you come across in your reading or at school.
Go for a rock hunt around your local area, how many different types can you find?
Monday 5th December-Friday 9th December
- This afternoon we are going to make a marshmallow structure that can withstand an earthquake.
- In maths today we were giving directions through a maze using angles and direction.
- In art we made our new name labels for our art folders.
- We performed our Christmas Play in front of the whole school.
- This week in literacy we did a spelling test. Also in literacy this week we have been writing our non-chronological reports about volcanoes.
- Sadly, we couldn't go to swimming today because the lifeguard was poorly.
- We watched the rest of the school do their dress rehearsals.
- In assembly this week we watched performances by the children who have music lessons at school. We were all very impressed.
Monday 28th November-Friday 2nd December
- This week in maths we have been learning about shapes and angles. We have learnt about acute, right angles and obtuse angles. Today we made our own games where you had to describe the angles in the shape. We read out our clue then the table had to guess the shape.
- On Monday in maths we made 3D shapes. Lots of us made an octahedron!
- In literacy we have been planning non-chronological reports on volcanoes.
- We have been practising our Christmas play this week.
- At swimming Miss Dudding was assessing us, some of us swam a width and some of us a length.
Monday 21st November-Friday 25th November
- We have been learning about fractions in maths.
- We have been adding fractions.
- In literacy we wrote our own warning story based on natural disaster. We also wrote a diary account as though we had been in a tsunami.
- On Wednesday we had an earthquake and volcano workshop where we were explorers!
- We have started practising our Christmas play!
- In swimming we practised breaststroke and some of jumped into the deep end!
Monday 14th November-Friday 18th November
- This week in maths we have started learning about fractions. We have been learning to find 1/10.
- Today we are wearing spotty clothes because we are raising money for children in need.
- This week in literacy we created our own versions of The Mountain Fire and wrote the beginning of this story. We were working on creating descriptive setting.
- Today in swimming some of us went in the deep end at the swimming pool.
- In PSHE this week we were learning about bullying. We watched a video to show examples of bullying and made our own posters for anti bullying which have been entered into a competition.
- In spelling we practised more homophones. We played a game where you had to draw a homophone and our partner had to guess the word and spell the correct homophone.
- In PE we continued to make different shapes using our bodies.
- In RE were thinking about the word miracle and what it meant to us.
Monday 31st October-Friday 4th November
- On Monday we made our own volcanoes out of chicken wire and paper. In the afternoon we went outside and made a mixture which we then made erupt out of our volcanoes!
- On Wednesday it was Day of the Dead and we decorated skulls.
- In PE we were doing different actions in gymnastics.
- In literacy we wrote our own warning stories.
- In maths we are learning our 3x tables. We have been using arrays to help us work out answers.
- In PSHE we were thinking about how diverse we are and discussing what 'family' means. We had to guess all of Miss Dudding's family! We made our own definition for a family.
- Our topic this term is Natural Disasters and we are very excited to learn lots this term!