- At SMRP we believe the curriculum should develop children’s love of reading, enhance their vocabulary and broaden children’s skillset to be confident writers.
- We have an English curriculum that provides many purposeful opportunities for reading, writing and discussion.
- From the Early Years Foundation Stage through to Upper Keys Stage 2, we have worked to ensure children are exposed to a vast range of high-quality texts each term. Where possible texts are aligned with topics to allows for immersion and exposure to topics
- Teaching blocks focus on fiction, non-fiction or poetry, in line with the 2014 National Curriculum. We ensure children are taught to write to entertain, inform, persuade and argue through a rich variety of writing outcomes.
- Lessons sequences themselves build progressively towards an extended piece of writing and children are exposed to examples (WAGOLL) and modelled writing to support them.
- Teachers plan opportunities for children to apply their writing skills across the curriculum.
- Assessment for Learning is embedded in lessons and children are active in editing and revising their work and responding to feedback to improve their work.