- To raise standards in writing across the school.
- To have a consistent approach across the school when teaching handwriting and presentation of work throughout the school.
- To adopt a common approach towards handwriting by all adults when writing in children’s books, on the whiteboard or on displays / resources.
For pupils to:
- Achieve a neat, legible style with correctly formed letters with correct orientation in cursive handwriting.
- Develop flow and speed, so that eventually they are able to produce the letters automatically and in their independent writing.
Handwriting is taught regularly through sessions and may be linked with spelling, grammar or phonics objectives. Teaching occurs outside English lessons. Importantly, shared and guided writing and teachers’ written comments in books also provide additional opportunities for the modelling and monitoring of handwriting. In addition individual teaching and practise time is provided for children who are experiencing difficulties.