Reading at St Mary Redcliffe Primary School
At St Mary Redcliffe Primary, we believe that developing children as expert and enthusiastic life-long readers is a fundamental entitlement for every individual pupil. We place reading at the heart of our curriculum and provide a structured reading offer that allows children to become confident and passionate readers.
- Enable children to apply their knowledge of structured synthetic phonics in order to decode unfamiliar words with increasing accuracy and speed.
- read accurately, fluently and with understanding.
- Be able to read with expression, clarity and confidence.
- Read and respond to a wide range of different types of texts.
- Develop a wide ranging knowledge of vocabulary and strong grasp of grammar.
- Be able to use reading skills to read and understand content across other curriculum areas.
- Provide opportunities for children to gain a life-long enjoyment of reading and books.
- Celebrate and promote books and reading across the school.
Please click on the stars below to find out more about different aspects of our reading offer.